The First Time: Tips for Choosing a Lawyer During a Separation:
Why is it important to look for experience in family law when choosing a lawyer during separation?
When going through a separation, it is crucial to find a lawyer with experience in family law, as this area can be complex and requires specialised knowledge. EM Family Lawyers, a Sydney-based firm, understands the importance of having an experienced family lawyer to handle your case effectively. An experienced family law lawyer will be familiar with the Family Court system and have established relationships with judges and other lawyers in the area.
Key points about looking for experience in family law include:
- Family law can be complex and requires specialised knowledge
- An experienced family lawyer will be familiar with the family court system
- EM Family Lawyers is a Sydney-based firm with expertise in family law
- Having an experienced family lawyer can make a significant difference in your case
Why is considering the lawyer’s approach important when choosing a lawyer during separation?
Choosing a lawyer with an approach that aligns with your needs and personality is essential during a separation. EM Family Lawyers understands that some clients may prefer a more aggressive approach, while others may seek a collaborative solution. The lawyer’s approach can impact the outcome of your case, especially in situations involving children, where finding common ground may be beneficial.
Key points about considering a lawyer’s approach include:
- Aligning with a lawyer whose approach matches your needs and personality is crucial
- Some lawyers may take a more aggressive approach, while others may focus on collaboration
- EM Family Lawyers can accommodate different approaches based on client needs
- The lawyer’s approach can impact the outcome of your case
How can you verify the qualifications and credentials of a lawyer during separation?
When searching for a lawyer during a separation, it’s essential to ensure they are licensed to practice law in Australia and have the necessary qualifications and credentials. EM Family Lawyers is a Sydney-based firm with experienced family lawyers who are licensed, qualified, and specialise in family law. You can verify a lawyer’s qualifications and credentials by checking with the Law Society for NSW.
Key points about verifying qualifications and credentials include:
- Ensure the lawyer is licensed to practice law in your state or territory
- Check with the Law Society or Bar Association to verify their qualifications and credentials
- EM Family Lawyers has experienced family lawyers who are licensed and qualified
- Choosing a qualified and accredited family lawyer can give you confidence in your case
Why is it important to read reviews and ask for references when choosing a lawyer during separation?
Reading reviews online and asking for references from previous clients can provide valuable insight into a lawyer’s reputation and the quality of their work. EM Family Lawyers encourages prospective clients to read reviews and request references to gain a better understanding of their lawyers’ communication skills, professionalism, and success rate in cases similar to yours.
Key points about reading reviews and asking for references include:
- Reviews and references provide insight into a lawyer’s reputation and quality of work
- Look for information on communication, professionalism, and success rate
- EM Family Lawyers encourages clients to read reviews and request references
- This information can help you make a more informed decision when choosing a lawyer
Why is it important to find a lawyer you feel comfortable with during separation?
Finding a lawyer you feel comfortable with is crucial when going through a separation. A comfortable working relationship allows for open and honest communication and fosters trust between you and your lawyer. EM Family Lawyers emphasises the importance of finding a lawyer who is responsive, patient, and understanding to ensure a positive experience throughout the separation process.
Key points about finding a comfortable lawyer include:
- Open and honest communication is vital for a successful working relationship
- Trust between you and your lawyer is essential
- EM Family Lawyers prioritises client comfort and understanding
- A comfortable working relationship can improve the overall separation process
Why is it important to consider fees and costs when choosing a lawyer during separation?
Considering the costs associated with hiring a lawyer is important when going through a separation. EM Family Lawyers understands the financial concerns of clients and can discuss hourly rates, retainer fees, and other expenses such as court fees. Some lawyers may offer payment plans or have sliding scale fees based on your income, so it’s worth asking about these options when selecting a lawyer.
Key points about considering fees and costs include:
- Understanding the costs associated with hiring a lawyer is crucial
- EM Family Lawyers can discuss various fees and expenses related to your case
- Some lawyers may offer payment plans or sliding scale fees based on income
- Considering fees and costs can help you make a more informed decision when choosing a lawyer
Why is a lawyer’s availability important when choosing a lawyer during separation?
Ensuring that the lawyer you choose has the availability to take on your case and devote the necessary time and resources is critical in achieving the best outcome. EM Family Lawyers recommends asking about a lawyer’s current caseload and how they prioritise their clients to ensure your case receives the attention it deserves. A lawyer with the appropriate availability can make a significant difference in the outcome of your case.
Key points about considering a lawyer’s availability include:
- Availability is essential in ensuring your case receives the necessary attention
- EM Family Lawyers encourages clients to inquire about a lawyer’s current caseload and priorities
- A lawyer with the appropriate availability can improve the outcome of your case
- Choosing a lawyer with sufficient availability can provide peace of mind during the separation process
In conclusion, choosing a lawyer during a separation can be overwhelming, but taking the time to find the right person can make all the difference. By considering factors such as experience, approach, qualifications, references, comfort level, fees, and availability, you can find a lawyer
that best suits your needs and helps you navigate this difficult time. EM Family Lawyers, a Sydney-based firm, is dedicated to assisting clients through the separation process with expertise and compassion.
Divorce & Separation
Expert divorce lawyers
When married couples separate, there is only one ground for the grant of a Divorce Order, and that is the irretrievable breakdown of the marriage. This is established by the parties being separated for a minimum of 12 months. In some circumstances, parties can be living under the same roof and still be able to establish this ground.
Expert property settlement lawyers
Edwards Family Lawyers can assist you and your spouse/partner to come to an agreement in relation to all financial matters and issues arising from the breakdown of a relationship, including the division of all assets and liabilities, spouse maintenance payments, superannuation splitting orders and child support departure Orders.
Negotiation & Resolution
Expert negotiation and resolution lawyers
Opportunities for negotiation and settlement exist not only before proceedings are commenced, but also after proceedings have been commenced and right up until the time that the Court finally hears and determines the matter. Parties can settle a matter at any time.
Parenting & Children
Parenting and Children Family Lawyers
The best interests of the children is the paramount consideration when determining the most appropriate and suitable arrangements for the children after a separation. At Edwards Family Lawyers, we encourage our clients to participate in the counselling or mediation services available to assist them to reach an agreement with their spouse/former partner
Edwards Family Lawyers offer Mediation Services to assist parties to engage in effective dispute resolution. Our Principal, Frances Edwards, has extensive experience in negotiating settlements in both parenting and property matters, and is a National Accredited Mediator and member of LEADR and IAMA.
De Facto Lawyers
De Facto couples (including same sex couples) who separate after 1 March 2009 have the same rights as married couples. The rights and obligations of couples upon the breakdown of a Marriage or De Facto relationship are now all governed by the Family Law Act 1975. De Facto couples who separated prior to 1 March 2009 are still covered by the old State legislation
Our Family Lawyers are here to help
We navigate legal issues for our clients with empathy and a deep understanding of the associated stresses and implications. We can help you, like we have helped many clients in Sydney.
Schedule a call back
Edwards Family Lawyers is committed to providing expert advice on all areas of Family Law following the breakdown of your marriage or de facto relationship, including same-sex relationships.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation
We acknowledge the Cammeraygal and Gadigal people being the traditional owners of the land on which we work and their elders past and present.